Sunday 21 November 2010

Pondicherry

I book in at the wonderful Ganga Guest House, its like a film set from a 60s Bollywood set.

I get a room on the open air terrace. its clean and spacious, at 13 pounds a night I am not complaining.
"Pondi" is definitely French, its influence is really charming, I rig up the mosquito net, kill 12 mossies, shower in hot water and then head out to "La Terasse" for some salad down by the beach. Outside the restaurant their are 6 Royal Enfields parked up outside. I sit under the palm thatched roof, order a salad and lemon soda, its simple but does not get any better.

I talk to the bikers, they are from Chennai and on a day out, they are extremely friendly. Their bikes are replicas of the famous 63 version, but with modified engines and electric starters. I get shots of them leaving.

I walk along the promenade for an hour and end up at"La cafe" overlooking the beach, for an Americano. Boy am I chilled out.

I am joined at the next table by 3 young women from Augsburg Bavaria, Clara, Julia and Annette must be late teems early 20s,they have been travelling for 5 months in India. They speak excellent English and have been teaching children art and design. Apparently they are carrying 72 litre ruck sacks, I wonder how many 10 gallon hats that would be? I go to a local bookshop to find cartoon drawings of Hindu Gods, nothing but Snow white etc. So I did last night s blog.

Pack bags and have toast, coffee and mango juice for breakfast. On the terrace I meet a very engaging couple from near Ulm in Germany. Christiana is an installation artist and Joga is a Male Nurse, unfortunately he has a very swollen foot.. I cj\heck out of the hotel.

Pondicherry is very french, its buildings the street names, the cafes and restaurants, even the menus. In the French Quarter there is little traffic, no pollution no noise. I go back to Le cafe, for lemon soda. I can see the sea, its so hot its almost viscous, the waves are so tired they only curl and break at the very last minute before they reach the shore. The horizon of the sea and sky merge as one, with a feint line, perhaps the worlds is flat.I go to Madame Shanth's for a french style meal, I have salad again and garlic squid. Its so garlicky it will definitely prevent Dracula from venturing East.

Time to go, I am really sorry to leave I would like to stay longer. Next stop Chennai

4 comments:

  1. hey john thank you for inviting us to your blog....it"s beautiful to read it...all these small experiences, all these lovely details!!!
    so go on, i"m looking forward to new news :)
    lovely greetings from pagandai kootu road,
    claRa (back again in the village :)*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Thanks for adding Royal Enfield Chennai Bikers.Keep Rocking!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pondicherry sounds fascinating and very French indeed, quite different form what you have seen before. You managed to visit an art gallery and meet an installation artist – very cosmopolitan. I like your description of the viscous sea – excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daddy, Pondicherry sounds fab, I had no idea about the French influence. Imagine having garlic squid in India. I'll have to retrace your steps one day...dragging the wubba with me!

    ReplyDelete