Wednesday 1 December 2010

Wednesday

Wednesday am left Kochicade, heading for the Elephant Orphanage at Perinnawala. It takes 3 hours to get there, there are vitually no road signs, I used a compass that I brought, it was useful at last, yesterday I was thinking it was of no use on this trip, today a godsend.

Arrived at the Sanctuary, there are many elephants (75) most orphans but some now with young. I am having a good time, when all of a sudden I hear my name being called, its Michelle and Wouter, its unexpected but great to see them. I think the elephants look sad, Michelle says that its because they are orphans, on has part of his front right lower leg missing, apparently from a landmine. At 2pm they are marched across the road to the river,through a narrow lane of gift shops, all the shop owners remove the most obvious items, out of trunks way.

I didn't know that they moved so fast, they are 50 of them rushing towards me as I try to take photos of the incongruous picture. They rush to the waters edge, trunks ready, just had to say it. the river is 200 Ms across.
There is a viewing platform 5Ms above the water , its an ideal vantage point, with scope to view the entire river.

They frolic like kids pushing each other over, some have chains around the legs, others grab the chains with their trunks and pull. After a while they go to far shore and rub themselves in the muddy bank. Babes feed off their mums, its a wonderful sight.

They lazily float about rolling in the brown water of the swollen river. At 4pm they start gathering just before the mahouts call them to return. They are all over the place, down river across on the other side, very obediently they group together, rubbing themselves against each other. One scrapes the mud off the back of its neighbour and thows it over itself.

The dutch friends travel back to Kandy in a tuctuc 3 wheeler, I follow in my car, the driver Noel stops on a river to show us trees full of giant bats.

I arrive in Kandy its very pretty even in the mist and rain. Staying at the Hotel Laxshmi.

No comments:

Post a Comment